- The World Health Organization(WHO) has suggested that Merck’s vaccine (VSV-EBOV) used during the current outbreaks in Congo was 97.5% efficacious in preventing Ebola infection.
- Recombinant vesicular stomatitis virus–Zaire Ebola virus (VSV-EBOV) is an experimental vaccine for protection against Ebola virus disease.
- When VSV-EBOV is injected,the vaccinated individuals generates antibodies against EBOV protein,thereby gaining immunity.
- The vaccine was developed by the Public Health Agency of Canada and licensed to NewLink Genetics.
- In November 2014,Merck entered into a licensing agreement with NewLink Genetics to research,develop,manufacture and distribute the vaccine.
- Ebola virus disease(EVD) formerly known as Ebola haemorrhagic fever, is a severe often fatal illness in humans.The virus is transmitted to people from wild animals and spreads in the human population through human-to-human transmission.
1 min read