- The Election Commission (EC) has expressed displeasure over the lackadaisical approach of Air India and the Railways in enforcing the Model Code of Conduct (MCC).
- Earlier in March, the EC had issued a show cause notice to the Railways and Civil Aviation ministries over the use of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s pictures on rail tickets and Air India boarding passes. Further, the slogan “Main Bhi Chowkidar” were found on tea cups used in trains.
- Issue of advertisement at the cost of public money in the newspapers and other media and the misuse of official mass media during the election period for partisan coverage of political news and publicity regarding achievements amounts to violation of MCC.
- Model code of Conduct (MCC) are the guidelines issued by the Election Commission of India for conduct of political parties and candidates during elections.
- The MCC comes into force immediately on the announcement of the election schedule by the commission. The Code remains in force till the end of the electoral process. The MCC came into force on March 10, 2019 after the announcement of election schedule by the Election Commission.
2 min read