- According to the Economic Survey 2018-19,Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM) was a complete success producing significant health benefits.
- The Survey claimed that 30 states / Union territories had cent per cent coverage of household toilets.Nearly 90% of all SBM toilets have been geo-tagged.
- The target was achieved due to (a)community participation (b)flexibility in choice (c)capacity building (d)behaviour change and (e)use of information technology and social media.
- The survey said that the next big goal on the Swachh Bharat journey is 100% safe and scientific disposal of solid and liquid waste.
- However,it emphasises that the large resources needed to reach this milestone will need to be met through crowd and corporate funding, private partnerships and innovative financing mechanisms along with government allocations.
- Some of the areas which must be dealt with in this next phase are (a) sewer construction and water availability (b)scientific techniques for waste disposal (c)treatment of industrial effluent (d)drain bio-remediation (e)river surface cleaning and (f)sustained rural sanitation.
- Apart from financial resources,the survey said that mindset change is the other major ingredient required for sustained progress in sanitation.
- The survey said that swachh grahis or village level ambassadors who have already been recruited for Phase 1 of the programme are key to maintaining momentum.
- Swachh Bharat Mission(Gramin) aims to make India an open defecation free(ODF) country.It seeks to improve the levels of cleanliness in rural areas through Solid and Liquid Waste Management activities and making villages Open Defecation Free (ODF) and clean.
3 min read