- According to the Economic Survey 2019,incident of train collisions has come down to zero in the year 2018-19 in Indian Railways.
- The incidents of derailment have also decreased from 78 in 2016-17 to 46 in the year 2018-19.However,the incidents of fire has increased to six in 2018-19.
- Additionally,the survey said that in 2018-19,Indian Railways had carried 1221.39 million tonnes of revenue earning freight,an increase of 61.84 million tonnes or 5.33% over 2017-18.
- Indian Railways has also initiated a major electrification program for electrifying 100% of its broad gauge network.This would reduce the nation’s dependence on imported diesel oil.
- Addressing the ‘Swachh Rail Swachh Bharat’ mission of Indian Railways, the Survey ranks ‘Beas’ station as first in India in the case of cleanliness among ‘A’ category stations and ‘Visakhapatnam tops the list among ‘A1’ category station.
- Further,the survey has said that there is also a rise in the number of bio toilets in passenger coaches,plastic bottle crusher machines,mechanised cleaning and housekeeping at major stations in the country
2 min read