News: The Economic Survey 2019-2020 highlights the government’s commitment to social wellbeing in India.
- Expenditure on social services by the Centre and States (as a proportion of GDP): Increased from 6.2% in 2014-15 to 7.7% in 2019-20.
- India’s ranking in Human Development Index: Improved to 129 in 2018 from 130 in 2017. With 1.34 % average annual HDI growth, India is among the fastest-improving countries.
- Total formal employment: increased from 8% in 2011-12 to 9.98% in 2017-18
- Gender disparity in India’s labor market: widened due to a decline in female labor force participation especially in rural areas and around 60% of productive age (15-59) group are engaged in full-time domestic duties
- Housing: About 76.7% of the households in the rural and about 96% in the urban areas had houses of pucca structure.
- Vaccination: Mission Indradhanush has vaccinated 3.39 crore children and 87.18 lakh pregnant women.