- Recently, El Salvador has taken the decision to recognise forests as living entities.
- This decision was taken as El Salvador has lost about 85% of its native forests since the 1960s while Earth has lost about 80% of its native forests.
- This recognition will require each person to commit to caring,preserving and respecting forests.People should also promote concrete actions that expand forests in the country
- Further,recognising forests as living entities means humans live in harmony with forests and respect them as more than just property.
- The recognition of Legal entities helps the forests to have a right to be legally protected from any kind of destruction.Destroying them without permission could lead to human rights violations for which legal action can be taken.
- Further,New Zealand had earlier passed legislation giving legal rights to the Whanganui river ecosystem.Ecuador had already given legal rights to nature in its Constitution adopted in 2008.
8 min read