- The Assam National Register of Citizens (NRC) Coordinator has informed the Supreme Court that the Election Commission has agreed to not withdraw personnel involved in the NRC work.
- The central government had previously stated 167 companies of combined armed police forces were need to be pulled out of Assam and stationed across the country for poll work. The government had urged the court to suspend the ongoing work on the NRC during the Lok Sabha polls 2019. The SC had rebuked the government and accused it of undermining the NRC process.
- The National Register of Citizens (NRC) is a register which contains the name of all citizens of India residing in Assam. It was prepared in 1951.
- The process of NRC update in Assam has been taken up as per a Supreme Court order in 2013. The update is being carried out under the Citizenship Act, 1955, and according to rules framed in the Assam Accord, 1985.
- The Supreme Court had set July 31st 2019 as the deadline for submission of final NRC.
2 min read