News: The Tracking SDG 7: The Energy Progress Report has been released by International Energy Agency(IEA), the International Renewable Energy Agency(IREA), the United Nations Statistics Division, World Bank and the World Health Organization.
- Aim: To guide international co-operation and policy-making to achieve universal, sustainable energy access by 2030 by focusing on four key SDG 7 energy targets:
- 7.1: Ensuring universal access to electricity and clean cooking solutions;
- 7.2: Substantially increasing the share of renewable energy;
- 7.3: Doubling progress on energy efficiency;
- 7.A: Increasing international collaboration in support of clean and renewable energy.
- The global electrification rate progressed steadily from 2010 to 2018, rising to 90% of the world’s population in 2018 from 83% in 2010.
- In 2018, India was among the top three countries with largest deficits regarding access to electricity.The other two countries were Nigeria and the Democratic Republic of Congo(DRC).