- The Supreme Court has rebuked the Rajasthan Government for its failure to curb illegal mining in the Aravalli region.
- In 2009, the Supreme Court banned mining throughout the Aravallis owing to destruction of the hill ecology, reducing groundwater levels and pollution. However, SC order had been repeatedly flouted and illegal mining continued.
- In 2018, the SC had asked Rajasthan government to take stringent actions to stop mining after a committee report stating that 31 of the 128 of Aravalli hills have vanished.
- Aravalli are the oldest mountain range in India. It spreads across the states of Gujarat, Rajasthan, Haryana and Delhi.
- The Aravalli fold mountains is particularly significant for its (a) ground water recharge function (b) prevention of the spread of the Thar Desert towards Delhi and (c) blocking dust storms approaching the National Capital.
1 min read