- British Home Secretary Sajid Javid has signed the extradition order for fugitive business tycoon Vijay Mallya for his extradition to India.
- Two years ago, the Indian Government requested the extradition of Vijay Mallya to the British High Commission in India.
- Vijay Mallaya is the erstwhile chairman of United Sprits, who has been declared both a ‘proclaimed offender’ and ‘absconder’ under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act.
- He is the first to be declared a ‘fugitive economic offender’ under the Fugitive Economic Offenders Act.
- The US, UAE, UK, Canada, Germany, Nepal, Bangladesh, Iran, Singapore, Australia, Nigeria, Denmark, South Africa and France are among the 47 countries with which India has inked extradition treaties.
1 min read