- Taliban will hold a meeting with Afghan opposition leaders in Moscow, in a move likely to alienate the Afghan government, which is already excluded from talks between the militant group and the United States.
- Russia has been cultivating ties with the Taliban,the successors of Mujahideen militants who defeated the soviet troops in 1980’s.
- U.S. and Taliban negotiators meeting in Qatar reached a framework agreement on the withdrawal of U.S. forces in Afghanistan, as well as a guarantee that Afghan soil wouldn’t be used to launch terrorist attacks on the U.S. and other countries.
- Afghan Government have strongly criticized the meeting stating that the Afghan delegation there has “no executive authority”.
- Indian Government have made it clear that they will not engage with Taliban directly and would rather pursue bilateral ties through investing in developement projects.
1 min read