- The 6th Global Environment Outlook (GEO) has been released at the 4th session of UN Environment Assembly. The 4th session is being held at Nairobi, Kenya from 11-15 March, 2019. The theme for the session is “Innovative Solutions for Environmental Challenges and Sustainable Consumption and Production”.
- The United Nations Environment Assembly was created in 2012 to replace the Governing Council of the United Nations Environment Programme. It is the world’s highest-level decision-making body on the environment. It seeks to address critical environmental challenges faced globally. It meets biennially to set priorities for global environmental policies and develop international environmental law.
- The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading environmental authority in the United Nations system. It was established in 1972.
- According to the recently released 6th Global environment Outlook, environmental pollution is responsible for the premature deaths of nine million people a year- 25% of total premature deaths in a year. The report has stated that air pollution causes 6-7 million early deaths annually.
- The Global environment Outlook is United Nations Environment Programme’s flagship environmental assessment. The first GEO was published in 1997. The assessment highlights the current state of the environment, illustrates possible future environmental trends and analyses the effectiveness of environmental policies. The report also provide national governments with policy options to take immediate action to address environmental issues
2 min read