News: Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has sought price quotes for the supply of 10 lakh antibody kits (serological test) for diagnosis of COVID-19.
- Two types of tests for viral infections: Genetic and serological
- Genetic test: It is conducted on a swab collected from the back of the throat, a liquid sample from the lower respiratory tract, or a simple saliva sample.
- Serological Test: It is a blood test to detect the presence of antibodies against a microorganism.
- Advantage of Serological Test over Genetic Test:. Serological tests help detect and trace past infections while genetic tests can only identify infections that are active. They are relatively cheaper than genetic tests.
Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR):
- It is the apex and premier medical research organization in India.
- Function: planning, formulation, coordination, implementation and promotion of biomedical research.
- Nodal Ministry: Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.