News: International Literacy Day is celebrated across the globe on the 8th of September.
- International Literacy Day: It was declared in 1966 at the 14th Session of UNESCO’s General Conference.
- Aim: To raise awareness and remind people of the importance of literacy as a matter of dignity and human rights.
- Theme: “Literacy teaching and learning in the COVID-19 crisis and beyond”.
- Global Education Monitoring Report 2020: It has been released by UNESCO to monitor progress towards Sustainable Development Goal 4 (SDG 4) on education as well as other education-related points in the SDG Agenda.Theme: “Inclusion and education: All means all”.
- SDG 4: It aims to ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all by 2030.
- Incheon declaration: It is a declaration on education adopted at the World Education Forum in Incheon, South Korea in 2015.
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO): It is a specialized agency of the United Nations(UN) based in Paris,France.India has been a member of the UNESCO since its inception in 1946.