- Recently,a study has shown that Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana was a timely intervention to rectify the harm caused by Household Air Pollution (HAP).
- The emissions of PM2.5 generated by the burning of solid fuels in households is termed Household Air Pollution(HAP).The study claims that more than 8 lakh premature deaths occur in India every year as a result of exposure to HAP indoors.
- Moreover,the HAP produced indoors travels outdoors and also becomes a contributor to ambient air pollution.
- PM 2.5 or fine particulate matter refers to particles or droplets with a diameter of 2.5 micrometres or less.
- Such particles can travel deep into the respiratory system and exposure to them can cause several adverse health effects, both short-term and long-term, including respiratory problems and heart disease.
- Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana is a scheme of the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas.The scheme was launched in 2016.It aims to safeguard the health of women & children by providing them with a clean cooking fuel – LPG.
- The scheme provides free LPG connections to economically weaker families.The connections are issued in the name of women of the households.
- Under the scheme,cash assistance of Rs. 1600 is given to the beneficiaries to get a deposit-free new connection.Further,interest free loan is provided to purchase stove and refill by Oil Marketing Companies
2 min read