News:The Ministry of External Affairs has informed Lok Sabha that there are over 1.36 crore Indian nationals living abroad.
About Indian Diaspora:
- Indian Diaspora is a generic term used for addressing people who have migrated from the territories that are currently within the borders of India.
Key takeaways from the Data:
- The highest number of Indians abroad are living in the United Arab Emirates which comprises about one-fourth of all Indians abroad.
- The UAE is followed by Saudi Arabia, the US, Kuwait , Oman, Qatar , Nepal, UK, Singapore and Bahrain.
- According to the World Bank’s Migration and Development Brief,India is the world’s top recipient of remittances with its diaspora sending a whopping $79 billion back home in 2018.
About Pravasi Kaushal Vikas Yojana(PKVY):
- The Pravasi Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PKVY) is aimed at skilling Indians seeking employment abroad.
- It is being implemented by the National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) through its training partners and in consultation with the Ministry of External Affairs and the Skill Development Ministry.
About Know India Programme:
- It is a programme of the Ministry of External Affairs for engagement with Indian origin youth(between 18-30 years) to enhance their awareness about India, its cultural heritage, art and to familiarise them with various aspects of contemporary India.
About Madad Portal:
- It was launched in 2015.It seeks to help Indian citizens living abroad to file consular grievances online on the services offered by the Indian missions abroad.