News:The Finance Minister has quoted four poets in her Budget speech namely Pt. Dinanath Nadim, Avvaiyar, Thiruvalluvar and Kalidas.
About Dinanath Nadim:
- Dinanath Nadim was born in 1916.He wrote in Kashmiri, Hindi and Urdu.
- He received the Sahitya Akademi award in 1986 for his opera Shuhul Kull (The Shady Tree).
- Well-known works : Vitasta (Jhelum River), Safar Taa Shehjaar (The Journey And The Shade) and Bombur Taa Yemberzal (The Bumble Bee And The Narcissus Flower).
- Avvaiyar translates to “Respected Woman”.It is the title which was used by several women poets who contributed to Tamil literature during different periods of time.
- Thiruvalluvar or Valluvar is a Tamil poet and philosopher.He is believed to have lived between 3rd-4th century or 8th-9th century.
- He is best known as the author of Thirukkuṛaḷ, a collection of couplets on ethics, political and economical matters and love.
- Kalidas is a legendary Sanskrit scholar.He is believed to have lived during the middle of the fourth and early fifth centuries AD during the reigns of Chandragupta II Vikramaditya and Kumaragupta.One of his famous works is Raghuvamsa.