News:Several infected patients are developing severe COVID-19 because of an overreaction of their immune systems which triggers what is known as a cytokine storm syndrome(CSS).
- Cytokine Storm:It occurs when the body’s immune system overreacts to an intruder such as a virus by producing high levels of cytokines.
- However, overproduction of cytokines can be harmful as it can attack healthy tissues as well.
- Symptoms:High fever, inflammation (redness and swelling), severe fatigue and nausea.
- Cytokines:They are a large group of proteins, peptides or glycoproteins that are secreted by specific cells of the immune system to mediate and regulate immunity and inflammation response.
- Immune System:It is a complex network of cells, organs and tissues that work in tandem to protect the body from infection.