News:Recently,the Madhya Pradesh Governor has ordered a floor test in the state Assembly to allow the State Government to prove its majority.
About Floor Test:
- A floor test is primarily taken to know whether the executive enjoys the confidence of the legislature.
- It is a constitutional mechanism under which a Chief Minister appointed by the Governor can be asked to prove majority on the floor of the Legislative Assembly of the state.
About Composite Floor Test:
- It is conducted only when more than one person stakes claim to form the government and the majority is not clear.During this time,the governor calls for a special session to see who has the majority.
- The majority is then counted based on those present and voting.This can be done through a voice vote or through division vote.
- The person who has the majority will form the government.In case of tie, the speaker can also cast his vote.