News: Union Minister for Food Processing has announced the extension of Operation Greens from TOP (Tomato-Onion-Potato) crops to all Perishable Fruits & Vegetables (TOP to Total).
- Operation Greens: It was announced in the Budget 2018-2019 to stabilize the supply of Tomato, Onion and Potato (TOP) crops.It is being implemented by the Ministry of Food Processing Industries.
- The scheme has now been extended from tomato, onion and potato (TOP) crops to other all Perishable Fruits & Vegetables(TOP to Total).
- Objective: To protect the growers of fruits and vegetables from making distress sale due to lockdown and reduce the post -harvest losses.
- Duration of Scheme: for the period of six months from the date of notification i.e., 11/06/2020.
- Eligible entities: Food Processors, Co-operative Societies, Individual farmers, Exporters, State Marketing/Co-operative Federation engaged in processing/ marketing of fruits and vegetables.
- Pattern of Assistance: Ministry will provide subsidy 50 % of the cost of the following two components subject to the cost norms:
- Transportation of eligible crops from surplus production cluster to consumption centre and/or
- Hiring of appropriate storage facilities for eligible crops (for a maximum period of 3 months).