News: The Ministry of Culture has presented the first set of five volumes of Mongolian Kanjur published under the National Mission for Manuscripts(NMM) to the President.
- Mongolian Kanjur: It is a Buddhist canonical text in 108 volumes which is considered to be the most important religious text in Mongolia.
- In the Mongolian language ‘Kanjur’ means ‘Concise Orders’- the words of Lord Buddha in particular.
- Significance: It is held in high esteem by the Mongolian Buddhists and they worship the Kanjur at temples and recite the lines of Kanjur in daily life as a sacred ritual.
- National Mission for Manuscripts: It was established in 2003 by the Ministry of Tourism and Culture, Government of India.
- Aim: To survey, locate and conserve Indian manuscripts with an aim to create a national resource base for manuscripts for enhancing their access, awareness and use for educational purposes.
- National Nodal Agency for the Mission: Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts, New Delhi.
News: The Labour and Employment Ministry has notified the draft Code on Wages (Central) Rules under the Code on Wages,2019.
- Code on wages, 2019: It has amended and consolidated laws relating to wages, bonus and related matters.The Code subsumed four labour laws – a) Payment of Wages Act,1936, b) Minimum Wages Act,1948 c) Payment of Bonus Act,1965 and the d) Equal Remuneration Act,1976.
Key Provisions of Draft Wage Rules:
- Working hours: The normal working day shall comprise eight hours of work and one or more intervals of rest which in total shall not exceed one hour.
- Central Advisory Board: Government will set up a Central advisory board to fix the floor-level minimum wages.
- Calculation of minimum wage: The criteria for fixing the minimum rate of wages per day for employees include: (i) standard family of four (self, spouse and two children) (ii) daily intake of 2700 calories per consumption unit, (iii) 10% expenditure on rent, (iv) 20% expenditure of fuel, electricity, and miscellaneous items, and (v) 25% expenditure on education, medical requirements and contingencies.
- Norms for fixing minimum wage:Minimum wages will be calculated on the basis of the geographical area of employment and the skill category of an employee.
- For this purpose, the central government will divide the geographical area into three categories: metropolitan,, non-metropolitan and rural areas.
- The occupations are also divided into four skill categories: unskilled, semi-skilled, skilled and highly skilled.
- Technical committee: A Technical Committee will be formed to suggest, modify, add or delete particular occupations in the tentative list of four categories: unskilled, semi-skilled, skilled and highly skilled.
News: Prime Minister will inaugurate the 750 MW Rewa Solar plant set up at Rewa, Madhya Pradesh.
- Rewa Solar Plant: It has been developed by the Rewa Ultra Mega Solar Limited (RUMSL) a joint venture company of Madhya Pradesh Urja Vikas Nigam Limited.
- Solar Capacity: The solar plant has a total solar installed capacity of 750 MW.
- Significance: It is the first solar park of India to receive funding from the World Bank and also the first project to get funding from Clean Technology Fund in India.
- The project is also the first renewable energy project to supply to an institutional customer outside the state, the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation.
- Impact: The project would lead to avoiding 15.4 lakh tonnes of carbon dioxide generation every year.
- Clean Technology Fund: It is one of two multi-donor Trust Funds within the Climate Investment Funds(CIFs),the other being the Strategic Climate Fund.
- Aim: To provide scaled up financing to contribute to the demonstration, deployment and transfer of low-carbon technologies with a significant potential for long-term greenhouse gas emissions savings.
- Trustee: The World Bank is the Trustee and administering unit of CTF Fund.
News: Union Minister for Development of North Eastern Region(DoNER) has interacted with Self Help Groups associated with North Eastern Region Community Resource and Management Program(NERCORMP).
- North Eastern Region Community Resource Management Project (NERCORMP) is a livelihood and rural development project.
- Aim: To transform the lives of the poor and marginalized tribal families in North East(NE) India.
- Social mobilization, organization and capacity building to tap and realize the great potential of the communities.
- Intervene with the economic, social activities and infrastructure with predominant thrust on income generating activities to achieve economic transformation.
- Bodies Involved: It is a joint initiative of the North Eastern Council (NEC), Ministry of DoNER and International Fund for Agricultural Development(IFAD).
- Implementation: It is operating in four states Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Meghalaya and Manipur.
- IFAD: It is an international financial institution and a specialised agency of the United Nations that works to address poverty and hunger in rural areas of developing countries.It is headquartered in Rome,Italy.
News: Maldives and Sri Lanka have become the first two countries in the World Health Organisation’s South-East Asian Region (WHO SEAR) to have eliminated both measles and rubella ahead of the 2023 deadline.
- Criteria: A country is verified as having eliminated measles and rubella when there is no evidence of endemic transmission of the respective viruses for over three years in the presence of a well-performing surveillance system.
- Other Countries:
- Bhutan, DPR Korea and Timor-Leste are countries in the region which have eliminated measles.
- WHO SEAR: It has 11 member countries- Bangladesh, India, Indonesia, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Bhutan, DPR Korea, Myanmar, Maldives and Timor-Leste.
- Measles and Rubella(German measles): They are a contagious viral diseases that spreads by contact with an infected person through coughing and sneezing.Both of them can be entirely prevented with a two-dose of MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella) vaccine.
- Difference between Measles and Rubella:
- Measles is caused by Rubeola virus and Rubella is caused by Rubella virus.
- Rubella causes a milder illness than measles but it is of particular concern because if a pregnant woman becomes infected, the virus can cause severe birth defects known as Congenital Rubella Syndrome(CRS).
- India: It has initiated the world’s largest Measles-Rubella(MR) Campaign in 2017.It targets vaccination of 410 million children and adolescents aged between 9 months and 15 years.