- AGRIOTA: It is an E-market agricultural commodity trading platform launched by the UAE Government to bridge the gap between Indian rural farmers and the UAE Food Industry.
- The platform will allow farmers to connect with the UAE food industry directly bypassing intermediaries.It also optimizes the supply chain and ensures traceability creating value for all stakeholders.
- Global Food Security Index: It measures food security across most of the countries of the world.It was first published in 2012 and is managed and updated annually by The Economist’s intelligence unit.In 2019, Singapore topped the index and India was ranked 72nd out of 113 countries.
- Global food policy report: Ithas been released by the International Food Policy Research Institute(IFPRI).The theme of the 2019 report is rural revitalisation.The report highlights the urgency of rural revitalization to address a growing crisis in rural areas.
News: Union Power Minister has addressed the 6th Foundation Day of Association of Renewable Energy Agencies of States(AREAS).
- AREAS: It has been formed as a Ministry of New and Renewable Energy(MNRE) initiative to provide a knowledge sharing platform for the renewable energy sector.
- Registered under: It has been registered under Society Registration Act 1860 in 2014.
- Composition: Union Minister for New & Renewable Energy is the Patron of the Association and Secretary, MNRE is the ex-officio President of the Association.
- All SNAs( State Nodal Agencies) are members of the Association.
- Chhavni COVID:Yodha Sanrakshan Yojana: It is a group life insurance scheme to be implemented through Life Insurance Corporation(LIC).
- Coverage: It will cover more than 10,000 employees in all 62 Cantonment Boards in event of any unfortunate fatal calamity with an insurance cover of Rs five lakhs each.
- Significance: The scheme will benefit permanent and contractual employees including doctors, paramedics and sanitation staff.
- Cantonment Board: It is established for the administration of the civilian population in the cantonment area under the provisions of the Cantonments Act of 2006.Nodal Ministry:Ministry of Defence.
News: United Nations has released the “International Principles and Guidelines on Access to Justice for Persons with Disabilities”.
- Aim: To dismantle barriers blocking people with disabilities from access to justice.
- What does the Guidelines provide? The guidelines outline 10 principles of access to justice for people with disabilities such as people with disabilities have the right to participate in the administration of justice on an equal basis with others and detailed steps for implementation.
- UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities: It was adopted in 2007 as the first major instrument of human rights in the 21st century.
- It defines persons with disabilities as those who have long-term physical, mental, intellectual or sensory impairments which in interaction with various barriers may hinder their full and effective participation in society on an equal basis with others.
- International Disability Alliance: It was created in 2009 as an alliance of eight global and six regional organisations of persons with disabilities.
- Purpose: They advocate at the UN for a more inclusive global environment for persons with disabilities and their organisations.
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- Accessible India campaign: Itis a nation-wide Campaign launched by the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) of the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment in 2015.
- Aim: To provide universal accessibility to persons with disabilities with focus on developing an accessible physical environment, transportation system and Information & communication ecosystem.
- Article 41 of the Directive Principles of State policy(DPSP): Itprovide that State shall within the limits of its economic capacity and development make effective provision for securing the right to work to education and to public assistance in cases of unemployment, old age, sickness and disablement.
News: Union Textiles Minister has addressed the award giving ceremony for winners of the Textile Grand Challenge 2019.
- Textile Grand Challenge: It was organized by the Ministry of Textiles with the active support of National Jute Board and the Startup India Team of the Department for Promotion of Industry & Industrial Trade (DPIIT).
- Aim: Tobring forward innovative ideas by start-ups/entrepreneurs for development of cost effective and low-weight carry bags using Jute Biomass, Jute Plant based biopolymer and cotton fibre waste to phase out plastic bags.
News: Ministry of Home Affairs(MHA) has notified Rules of Transaction of Business for the Government of Union territory of Jammu and Kashmir(J&K).
- What does the rules provide? The rules provide details of work allocation, distribution of the business among the departments, their powers, executive powers of LG among others in J&K.
Key Highlights of Rules:
- Departments: There will be 39 departments in the J&K such as school education, agriculture, higher education, horticulture, election, general administration, home, mining, power, Public Works Department, tribal affairs and transport.
- Public Order: Police, Public order, All India Services and Anti-corruption will fall under the executive functions of the LG.This implies that the Chief Minister or the Council of Ministers will have no say in their functioning.
- Peace and Tranquility: Proposals or matters which are likely to affect the peace and tranquility of the UT or the interest of any minority community, SC, ST and the Backward Classes shall be submitted to the LG through the Chief Secretary under intimation to the Chief Minister.
- Conflict between UT and Centre: Any matter which is likely to bring the government of the Union Territory into a controversy with the Centre or a State government shall as soon as possible, be brought to the notice of the LG and the Chief Minister through the Chief Secretary.
- Communications: All important communications received from the Centre shall as soon as possible be submitted to the Chief Secretary, the Minister in charge, the Chief Minister and the LG for information.
- Difference of Opinion: In case of difference of opinion between the LG and a Minister when no agreement could be reached even after a month, the decision of the LG shall be deemed to have been accepted by the Council of Ministers.
News: Many skilled artisans are abandoning Channapatna toymaking for other jobs.
- Channapatna toys are a particular form of wooden toys that are manufactured in the town of Channapatna, in the Ramanagara district of Karnataka.
- The manufacture of toys in Channapatna goes back at least 200 and it has been traced to the era of Hyder Ali and Tipu Sultan in the 18th century.
- The toys are famous for its smooth quality and bright colours of the products that were safe to handle.
- It has been accorded GI Tag.
News: the procurement of Kandhamal Haldi has been badly affected by the pandemic.
- Kandhamal Haldi is a member of the Curcuma botanical group, which is a part of the ginger family whose botanical name is Curcuma Longa. It is known for its medicinal values.
- The crop is cultivated in Kandhamal,a district in Odisha which is centrally located and whose geographical area is hilly and covered with forest. Further, Kandhamal turmeric is organically produced and is sustainable in adverse climate conditions.
- It has been accorded GI Tag.