News: Indian Prime Minister has addressed the Climate Ambition Summit 2020.
- Climate Ambition Summit: It has been organized virtually to mark the five years of the adoption of the Paris Agreement on Climate Change.
- Hosted by: The summit was co-hosted by the United Nations, United Kingdom and France.
Key Takeaways from the summit:
- India has reduced its emission by 21% over 2005 levels.
- India’s Renewable energy capacity is the fourth largest in the world.It will reach 175 GigaWatts before 2020.
- India has also managed to grow its solar capacity from 2.63 GigaWatts in 2014 to 36 GigaWatts in 2020.
- Paris agreement: It was adopted at the UNFCCC COP21 held in Paris in 2015.It aims to keep global temperature rise in the 21st century well below 2 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels and pursue efforts to limit the temperature increase even further to 1.5 degrees Celsius.
News: A not very common type of malaria, Plasmodium ovale has been identified in a jawan in Kerala.
- Malaria: It is caused by the bite of the female Anopheles mosquito, if the mosquito itself is infected with a malarial parasite.
- Types: There are five kinds of malarial parasites — Plasmodium falciparum, Plasmodium vivax (the commonest ones), Plasmodium malariae, Plasmodium ovale and Plasmodium knowlesi.
- Is P Ovale different from other Parasites? P ovale is very similar to P vivax and the treatment modality is the same as it is for a person infected with P vivax.
- Prevalence of P Ovale: P ovale malaria is endemic to tropical Western Africa.It is relatively unusual outside of Africa and where found, comprises less than 1% of the isolates.
- Which Malarial Parasite is prevalent in India? In India, out of 1.57 lakh malaria cases in the high-burden states of Odisha, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Meghalaya and Madhya Pradesh in 2019, 1.1 lakh cases(70%) were cases of falciparum malaria.
Note: According to the World Malaria Report 2020, cases of Malaria in India dropped from about 20 million in 2000 to about 5.6 million in 2019.
News: Myristica swamp tree frog has been recorded for the first time north of the Shencottah gap in the Vazhachal Reserve Forest in Kerala’s Thrissur district.
- Myristica Swamp Tree Frog: It is a rare arboreal species endemic to the Western Ghats.
- These frogs are rare and elusive for the reason that they are arboreal and active only for a few weeks during their breeding season.
- Arboreal species: These are animals who spend the majority of their lives in trees.
News: The 9th edition of Sustainable Mountain Development summit commenced in virtual mode on the occasion of International Mountain Day.
- Sustainable Mountain Development Summit(SMDS): The summit was organized by Indian Mountain Initiative(IMI)
- Aim: To deliberate on issues such as migration, water security, climate resilience and innovative solutions for the farm sector and disaster risk reduction in the Indian Himalayas.
- Theme: Emerging Pathways for Building a Resilient Post COVID-19 Mountain Economy, Adaptation, Innovation and Acceleration.
- Integrated Mountain Initiative (former Indian Mountain Initiative): It is a civil society led network formed in 2011 with the objective of providing stakeholders from the states of the Indian Himalayan Region a platform to come together to discuss issues related to the development of the Himalayan region.
News: BSNL has launched the world’s first Satellite-Based Narrowband IoT (Internet of Things) Network in partnership with Skylotec India.
- Narrowband Internet of Things(IoT): It is a standards-based low power wide area (LPWA) technology developed to enable a wide range of new IoT devices and services.
- very low power consumption
- excellent extended range in buildings and underground
- easy deployment into existing cellular network architecture
- network security & reliability
- lower component cost.
- Internet of Things(IoT): It describes the network of physical objects — “things”—that are embedded with sensors, software and other technologies for the purpose of connecting and exchanging data with other devices and systems over the internet.