News:Wildlife Institute of India(WII) has launched a mobile application named “Ganga Data Collector”.
About Ganga data collector:
- The application aims to provide field researchers with a complete data entry solution to monitor the aquatic population in the Ganga river.
- The application has been launched under the Biodiversity and Ganga Conservation project initiated by the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) of Union Ministry of Jal Shakti.
- The application will be used by scientists of WII, Ganga Praharis and staff of the forest department in the 11 states of the Ganga Basin for faster collection of more authentic and accurate data related to water quality and aquatic life in Ganga.
- NMCG is the implementation wing of the National Ganga Council.It is registered under the Societies Registration Act 1860.NMCG implements the Namami Gange programme.
- The government through the River Ganga (Rejuvenation, Protection and Management) Authorities Order, 2016 has declared NMCG as an Authority.
- It has been given powers to issue directions and also to exercise the powers under the Environment (Protection) Act,1986.
Namami Gange programme:
- The Namami Gange was launched in 2015.It is an Integrated Conservation Mission which seeks effective abatement of pollution, conservation and rejuvenation of River Ganga.
- The main pillars of Namami Gange Programme are (a) Sewerage Treatment Infrastructure, (b) River-Surface Cleaning, (c) Afforestation, (d) Industrial Effluent Monitoring, (e) River-Front Development, (f) Biodiversity, (g) Ganga Gram and (h) Public Awareness.
- Ganga Praharis are self-motivated and trained volunteers from among the local communities working for biodiversity conservation and cleanliness of the Ganga River.
- They are roped-in by Wildlife Institute of India (WII) as part of the “Biodiversity Conservation and Ganga Rejuvenation” project.
- The Ganga Praharis will be the role models in inspiring other members of the community to join hands in the efforts for conservation of the biodiversity of river Ganga.Thus,each Prahari shall work on the model of ‘Each One Make Ten’.
Wildlife Institute of India (WII)
- WII is an autonomous institution under the Ministry of Environment Forest and Climate Change,Government of India.
- It was established in 1982.It is based in Dehradun, Uttarakhand.
- It is an internationally acclaimed Institution which offers training programs, academic courses and advisory in wildlife research and management.