News:The India chapter of the Green Business Certification Inc(GBCI) has released the list of top 10 states for LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) in India.
Key takeaways from the list:
- Maharashtra has topped the US Green Building Council’s LEED green building certifications for the second consecutive year.
- Karnataka was ranked second on the list.It was followed by Haryana, Tamil Nadu and Uttar Pradesh.
- The Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) is the rating system developed for certifying Green Buildings.
- The rating system has been developed by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC),the organization promoting sustainability through Green Buildings.
- The main parameters to get a LEED certificate include saving energy and water, waste management, reducing carbon footprint and focusing on the health of the building’s occupants.
- Buildings that are LEED-certified create healthier spaces for people, use less energy and water, reduce air pollution, provide cleaner air indoors and save money for businesses and families.
About Green Rating for Integrated Habitat Assessment (GRIHA)
- Green Rating for Integrated Habitat Assessment (GRIHA) is India’s own rating system jointly developed by TERI and the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, Government of India.
- It is a rating tool that helps people to assess the performance of their building against certain nationally acceptable benchmarks.
- It evaluates the environmental performance of a building holistically over its entire life cycle thereby providing a definitive standard for what constitutes a green building.