- The government has introduced Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (Amendment) Bill 2019 in the Rajya Sabha. The bill seeks to amend POSCO Act, 2012.
- The amendment bill provides for gender neutral application of stringent punishment, including death penalty, for aggravated penetrative sexual assault of both girl and boy below 16 years of age.
- For the first time, the bill carries a definition of child pornography and provide for levy of fines and imprisonment of up to 5years to curb child pornography.
- Amendments are also proposed to protect children from sexual offences in times of natural calamities.
- The POCSO Act, 2012 was enacted to protect the children from offences of sexual assault, sexual harassment and pornography. The Act defines a child as any person below eighteen years of age.
1 min read