Skip to content
- The government has introduced Protection of
Children from Sexual Offences (Amendment) Bill 2019 in the Rajya Sabha. The
bill seeks to amend POSCO Act, 2012.
- The amendment bill provides for gender neutral application
of stringent punishment, including death penalty, for aggravated penetrative
sexual assault of both girl and boy below 16 years of age.
- For the first time, the bill carries a
definition of child pornography and provide for levy of fines and imprisonment of
up to 5years to curb child pornography.
- Amendments are also proposed to protect children
from sexual offences in times of natural calamities.
- The POCSO Act, 2012 was enacted to protect the
children from offences of sexual assault, sexual harassment and pornography. The
Act defines a child as any person below eighteen years of age.