- The Supreme Court has asked the NRC Coordinator to provide a fair chance to those who have challenged the non-inclusion of their names in the National Register of Citizen (NRC) in Assam.
- The National Register of Citizens (NRC) is a register which contains the name of all citizens of India residing in Assam. It was first prepared in 1951.
- Currently, the NRC is being updated in Assam to address the issue of illegal migrants. It seeks to identify illegal migrants in Assam who had entered the state on or after 25th March 1971.
- The update is being carried out under the Citizenship Act, 1955, and according to rules framed in the Assam Accord, 1985.
- The Supreme Court had set July 31st 2019 as the deadline for submission of final NRC.
7 min read