News:The third international conference on marine ecosystems – challenges and opportunities(MECOS-3) will be held in Kochi,Kerala from January 7 to 10,2019.
About the Conference:
- The Conference is organized by the Marine Biological Association of India.
- The conference is aimed at reviewing the concerns involved in marine ecosystem and formulating strategies for the better and sustainable utilisation of marine wealth by enhancing livelihood options,
- It will also serve as a platform for discussions on a range of topics, including the impact of the climate crisis on marine ecosystems and an unusual warming of the Arabian Sea.
Conference and SDG:
- The conference would focus on the Sustainable Development Goal of the United Nations, SDG-14.
- SDG-14 says, “Conserve and Sustainably use the oceans and its resources for sustainable development”.
Significance of the conference:
- Healthy oceans, coasts and related ecosystems are crucial for economic growth and food production.
- Billions of people worldwide, especially the world’s poorest rely on healthy oceans to provide jobs and food underscoring the urgent need to sustainably use and protect this natural resource.
- However,numerous issues such as depletion of resources, marine pollution, extreme weather conditions and rising sea surface temperature pose a threat to the sustainable utilisation of marine resources.
- Hence,the conference would come up with a roadmap to deal with these issues.
About Marine Biological Association of India:
- The Marine Biological Association of India was established in the year 1958.
- It serves the cause of promotion of research on marine sciences in the Asia-Pacific region.It also aims to create an active interest among its members in the field of marine biology and allied marine sciences.