- The Centre has rolled out Jal Shakti Abhiyan- a water conservation campaign. The theme of the campaign is Sanchay Jal, Behtar Kal.
- It aims at making water conservation and promotion of irrigation efficiency a ‘jan andolan’ (public campaign) through asset creation and communication campaigns
- The intervention areas include: a) Water conservation and rainwater harvesting, b) Renovation of water bodies, c) Renovation of bore well recharge structures, d) Watershed development and e) intensive afforestation.
- The other special interventions that are proposed to be carried out are: a) Development of Block and District Water Conservation Plans (To be integrated with the District Irrigation Plans), b) Krishi Vigyan Kendra Melas to promote efficient water use for irrigation (More Crop per Drop), and better choice of crops, for water conservation and c) 3D village contour maps may be created and made accessible for efficient planning of interventions
- For urban areas the interventions include: a) In urban areas, plans/approvals with time bound targets to be developed for waste water reuse for industrial and agricultural purposes, b) Plans to be developed for at least one urban water body for groundwater recharge in the block or city. Municipalities, c) Municipalities to pass by-laws for the separation of grey water and blackwater
5 min read