- Minister of State for Home Affairs has said that the Centre has adopted a multi-pronged approach to ensure effective surveillance along the international borders to check infiltration of illegal migrants.
- Several steps have been taken like enhancement of physical infrastructure which includes border fencing, floodlighting, and construction of border roads and establishment of border outposts.
- Further vulnerable border outposts are regularly reviewed and strengthened by deploying additional manpower, special surveillance equipment and other force multipliers.
- The government has also implemented technological solution in the form of Comprehensive Integrated Border Management System (CIBMS) in some vulnerable border areas.
- CIBMS is an integration of a number of high tech surveillance equipment, technologies and trained human resource to ensure robust surveillance across borders. It is designed to guard stretches where physical surveillance is not possible either due to inhospitable terrain or riverine borders.
- The implementation of Comprehensive Integrated Border Management System (CIBMS), was formulated in 2016 after the attack on the Pathankot Air Force Station.
- Two smart border fencing pilot projects are in place along International Border in Jammu. In March 2019, BOLD-QIT (Border Electronically Dominated QRT Interception Technique) was inaugurated on India-Bangladesh border in Dhubri District of Assam.
7 min read