News: The Union Government has permitted airlines operating in India to provide in-flight WiFi services to passengers
Background: The Telecom Commission had given its permission to in-flight connectivity of Internet and mobile communications on aircraft in Indian airspace in 2018.
In-flight connectivity of internet Technology
Two types of technology used:
- An onboard antenna picks up signals from the nearest tower on the ground.
- Satellites can be used to connect to ground stations. Data is transmitted to a personal electronic device through an onboard router, which connects to the plane’s antenna.
- It was setup in 1989 and functions under the Department of Telecommunications, Ministry of Communication. It has been designated as the Digital Communications Commission in 2018.
- Formulating the policy of Department of Telecommunications for approval of the Government;
- Preparing the budget for the Department of Telecommunications for each financial year and getting it approved by the Government; &
- Implementation of Government’s policy in all matters concerning telecommunication.