- The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade(DPIIT) has released the draft Copyright Amendment Rules,2019.
- The objective of the draft rules is to ensure smooth compliance of Copyright Act in the light of technological advancements in the digital era and to bring them in parity with other relevant legislation.
- The copyright regime is currently governed by the Copyright Act,1957 and the Copyright Rules,2013.The Copyright Rules,2013 was last amended in 2016 through the Copyright Amendment Rules,2016.
- Currently,the Act covers only radio and TV broadcast firms.Now, the draft rule proposes to cover companies operating through digital mode like websites and music streaming firms.
- The draft also proposes setting up an Appellate Board to replace the Copyright Board.It also proposes to make it mandatory for copyright societies to publish annual transparency report besides revamping norms for tariff fixation by such societies.
- A copyright Society is a legal body which protects or safeguards the interest of owners of the work by giving assurance to the creative authors of the commercial management of their works.These societies issue licences and collects royalties in accordance with a tariff scheme.
7 min read