News:Ethiopia is building one of the largest dams in the world named Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam(GERD).
About the Dam:
- The Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam(GERD) which was formerly known as the Millennium Dam is located in Ethiopia, on the Blue Nile River about 40km east of Sudan.
- The dam will be the largest hydroelectric power plant in Africa when completed as well as the seventh largest in the world.
About Nile River:
- The Nile River flows from south to north through eastern Africa.It begins in the rivers that flow into Lake Victoria and empties into the Mediterranean Sea.
- The river runs through countries namely Egypt, Burundi, Tanzania, Rwanda, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Kenya, Uganda, Sudan, Ethiopia, and South Sudan.
- Its three main tributaries are the White Nile, the Blue Nile, and the Atbara.