- National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission (NCDRC) has granted Haryana farmers compensation of ₹5 lakh from Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative Limited (IFFCO).
- This compensation was granted after the IFFCO had sold to farmers defective guar seeds that led to 70% crop failure.
- The National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission (NCDRC), India is a quasi-judicial commission in India which was set up in 1988 under the Consumer Protection Act of 1986.
- Its head office is in New Delhi.The commission is headed by a sitting or retired judge of the Supreme Court of India.
- Section 21 of Consumer Protection Act, 1986 says that the NCDRC shall have jurisdiction to entertain a complaint valued more than one crore and also have Appellate and Revisional jurisdiction from the orders of State Commissions or the District fora as the case may be.
- Further,Section 23 of Consumer Protection Act,1986, provides that any person aggrieved by an order of NCDRC may prefer an Appeal against such order to the Supreme Court of India within a period of 30 days.
5 min read