- The Manipur High court has ordered the release of the journalist who was arrested under the National Security Act after he made derogatory remarks against Prime Minister of India and Chief Minister of state.
- The National Security Act was promulgated in 1980.The objective of the Act is to provide for preventive detention in certain cases and for matters connected therewith.The Act extends to the whole of India except Jammu and Kashmir.
- According to the Act,the grounds for preventive detention of a person include: a) to prevent acting in any manner prejudicial to the defence of India, the relations of India with foreign powers, or the security of India, b) to regulate the continued presence of any foreigner in India or with a view to making arrangements for his expulsion from India, c) to prevent from acting in any manner prejudicial to the security of the state, d) to maintain public order, e) to maintain supplies and services essential to the community it is necessary so to do.
- Preventive detention is the imprisonment of a person with the aim of preventing them from committing further offenses or for maintaining public order.
- The NSA act has repeatedly come under criticism for the way it has been used by the police.As per law Commission report from 2001,more than 14 lakh people were held under preventive laws in India.
2 min read