News: Vulnerable groups such as sex workers, transpersons, HIV/AIDS have petitioned Global Fund for AIDS,TB and Malaria(GFATM) against being deprived of sources of livelihood during the pandemic.
- Global Fund to Fight AIDS Tuberculosis and Malaria(GFATM): It was created in 2002 as a partnership between governments, civil society, the private sector and people affected by the diseases.
- Aim: To raise, manage and invest the world’s money to end epidemics of HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria.
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.
- Tuberculosis(TB): It is an infectious airborne bacterial disease caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
- Malaria: It is a disease caused by Plasmodium parasites that are transmitted to people through the bites of infected female Anopheles mosquitoes.
- HIV: It is the human immunodeficiency virus which targets the immune system and weakens people’s defense systems.AIDS is the acquired immune deficiency syndrome, the most advanced stage of HIV infection.