News:Union home minister has chaired the sixth meeting of the Island Development Agency(IDA).
Key takeaways from the meeting:
- The meeting reviewed the work progress of the programme “Holistic Development of Islands”.
- Government has identified 16 islands in Andaman and Nicobar Islands and 10 in Lakshadweep for holistic development of Islands.
- The development plan focuses on the creation of jobs for the islanders through tourism promotion as well as export of seafood and coconut-based products made in the Islands.
- Further,this is the first time under the guidance of IDA,an initiative of sustainable development in the identified Islands within scientifically assessed carrying capacity has been taken-up.
- The Island Development Agency(IDA) was constituted in 2017 under the aegis of Ministry of Home Affairs to look into the holistic development of islands.
- Home Minister of India is its chairman and CEO of NITI Aayog acts as its convener.
- The other members of IDA include Secretary- Tourism, Tribal affairs, the Home Secretary, Secretary Ministry of Environment and Cabinet secretary.
- NITI Aayog has been mandated with the task to steer the holistic development of the islands in sustainable manner.