News:Argentina’s Rafael Grossi has been appointed as the Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency(IAEA).
- The International Atomic Energy Agency(IAEA) is widely known as the world’s Atoms for Peace and Development.It was established as an autonomous organization in 1957.
- It aim is to promote the peaceful use of nuclear energy and to inhibit its use for any military purpose, including nuclear weapons.
- It also works with its Member States and multiple partners worldwide to promote safe, secure and peaceful use of nuclear technologies.
- It is headquartered in Vienna,Austria.It has 171 member states with one vote per member.
- Though established as an autonomous organisation,the IAEA reports to both the United Nations General Assembly and the UN Security Council.
- The IAEA and its former Director General, Mohamed ElBaradei were jointly awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2005.