News:India has requested for an early delivery of Meteor air-to-air missiles from France.
About Meteor missile:
- Meteor is an active radar guided beyond-visual-range air-to-air missile (BVRAAM).
- The missile has a strike range of 150 km and no escape zone of 60 km. The no escape zone of this missile is the largest in the world according to its manufacturers.
- These missiles are to be attached to the Rafale jets.However,due to increasing tensions between India and Pakistan,India is requesting for an early delivery.
- The Meteor missile has a delivery range to take over all the other air forces in the region, including China.
- These missiles will also provide India the power to take on US supplied AMRAAM missiles possessed by the Pakistan Air Force.
About No-Escape Zone:
- The No-Escape Zone is the zone within which there is a high (defined) kill probability against a target even if it has been alerted.
- This zone is defined as a conical shape with the tip at the missile launch.
- France has also proposed a visit by the Indian Air force(IAF) to the Al Dhafra air base in the United Arab Emirates where French Air Force Rafale jets stationed in support of Operation Chammal.
- Operation Chammal is a French Military operation in Syria and Iraq to contain the expansion of Islamic State.
- The name of the operation comes from the north westerly wind that blows over Persian Gulf and Iraq.