- The Indian Air Force has submitted dossier to the government containing high resolution satellite images proving that 80% of the precision guided bombs deployed during the airstrike at Balakot had hit their intended targets.
- Air Force had used Mirage 2000 fighter jets which dropped Israeli Spice 2000 precision bombs with “penetration warheads” during the air strike.The objective was to hit the targets but avoid collateral damage to possible non-militant staff in adjacent buildings.
- A precision-guided munition (PGM, smart weapon, smart munition, smart bomb) is a guided munition intended to precisely hit a specific target, to minimize collateral damage and increase lethality against intended targets.
- SPICE stands for Smart, Precise Impact, Cost Effective.The bomb comes from a family of standoff air-to-ground weapon systems.It is basically an electro-optical/GPS guidance kit to convert air dropped unguided bombs into precision guided ‘Smart’ bombs.
- The Mirage-2000 can carry out precision strikes during day and night and had also played a decisive role in the 1999 war of Kargil.It can carry a mix of bombs and missiles on its nine hard points.
2 min read