News:Indian born author Jasbinder Bilan has bagged the Costa children’s book award for her debut novel ‘Asha and the Spirit Bird’.
About Costa children’s book award:
- The Costa Book Awards are a set of annual literary awards recognising English-language books by writers based in Britain and Ireland.
- The awards are given both for high literary merit but also for works that are enjoyable reading and whose aim is to convey the enjoyment of reading to the widest possible audience.
- They are considered to be more populist literary prize than the Man Booker Prize.
- They are given for five book award categories namely (a) Novel, (b) First novel (c) Children’s book (d) Poetry and (e) Biography.
- The authors need not be British or Irish but they must have been resident in the UK or Ireland for at least six months in each of the previous three years.
About Man Booker Prize:
- The Man Booker Prize was launched in 1969.It is sponsored by the Man Group.
- It aims to promote the finest in fiction and is awarded each year to the book adjudged as the best novel of the year written in English and published in the United Kingdom.
- The prize is open to writers of any nationality and published in the UK or Ireland.