- India along with France has been preparing a strong proposal to put Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) chief Masood Azhar on the ban list of the United Nations Security Council(UNSC)1267 committee.
- The security agencies are putting together new details such as (a)JeM’s parent outfit,Harkat-ul-Ansar (HuA),included by the U.S. in its list of Foreign Terrorist Organisations in 1999 had been renamed as Jaish-e-Mohammad and (b)JeM’s objectives are to train people to go to Afghanistan to attack the U.S. troops,train fidayeen [suicide bombers] and then train the local militants.
- The UNSC 1267 Committee was established as a result of resolution 1267 (1999).If an individual or an organisation is included in the list, it leads to(a)countries to freeze the targeted group’s or individual’s assets (b)ban designated individuals from travelling and (c)prevent the supply of weapons, technology and other aid.
- The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) is one of the six principal organs of the United Nations and is charged with the maintenance of international peace and security.
- The Security Council consists of fifteen members. Russia, the United Kingdom, France, China, and the United States—serve as the body’s five permanent members.The Security Council also has 10 non-permanent members, elected on a regional basis to serve two-year terms.The body’s presidency rotates monthly among its members.
2 min read