- The first shipment under the United Nations ‘Transports Internationaux Routiers’ (TIR) convention has arrived in India from Afghanistan through Iran’s Chabahar Port.
- In 2016, India,Iran and Afghanistan signed an agreement which included establishment of Transit and Transport Corridor among the three countries.They will use Chabahar Port as one of the regional hubs for sea transportation in Iran,besides multi-modal transport of goods and passengers across the three nations.
- TIR Convention is an international transit system under the auspices of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE).It came into force from 1975.At present there are 70 parties to the Convention, including the European Union.India had joined the TIR Convention in 2017.
- The convention facilitates the seamless movement of goods within and amongst the Parties to the Convention.It not only covers customs transit by road but a combination is possible with other modes of transport (e.g.,rail,inland waterway,and even maritime transport),as long as at least one part of the total transport is made by road.
- Chabahar port,inaugurated in 2017,has been built largely by India and provides a key supply route for Afghanistan while allowing India to bypass rival Pakistan to trade with Central Asia.
- The United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) is one of the five regional commissions under the jurisdiction of the United Nations Economic and Social Council.It was established in order to promote economic cooperation and integrations among its Member States.
2 min read