- During the meeting between Indian and Pakistani delegation,India did not raise the issue of Pakistan supporting the Khalistani movement.The meeting was held to discuss the modalities of the proposed cross-border Kartarpur corridor.
- Indian officials said that Khalistan issue was not brought up during the talks as it did not want to give Pakistan an opportunity to deviate from discussing the modalities of the kartarpur corridor.
- India is also concerned about plans by Sikh groups from the US,Canada and Australia to hold events in Pakistan to publicise “Referendum 2020” – a non-binding vote on a separate nation of Khalistan.
- The Khalistan movement is a Sikh separatist movement, which seeks to create a separate country called Khalistan in the Punjab region to serve as a homeland for Sikhs.The territorial definition of the proposed country Khalistan consists of both the Punjab,India along with Punjab, Pakistan and includes parts of Haryana, Himachal Pradesh,Jammu and Kashmir, and Rajasthan.
- The Kartarpur Corridor is a 4km long proposed corridor comprising border gates,road and a bridge to link Dera Baba Nanak gurdwara in Gurdaspur district in India to Gurdwara Darbar Sahib Kartarpur in Pakistan.It is aimed at allowing the easy movement of Sikh pilgrims to the Kartarpur gurdwara.
2 min read