- Indian and Pakistan officials has held a meeting to discuss the technical aspects of the proposed Kartarpur corridor.The two countries discussed on the (a)timing for completion of bridge (b)alignment of roads and (c)engineering aspects of the proposed crossing points.
- Earlier,the first meeting to finalise the modalities for the corridor took place on the Indian side of the Attari-Wagah border.However in the second meeting,India had conveyed its objection to Pakistan over the presence of a Khalistan separatist in a committee appointed by Pakistan on the Kartarpur project.
- The Kartarpur Corridor is a 4km long proposed corridor comprising border gates,road and a bridge to link Dera Baba Nanak gurdwara in Gurdaspur district in India to Gurdwara Darbar Sahib Kartarpur in Pakistan.It is aimed at allowing the easy movement of Sikh pilgrims to the Kartarpur gurdwara.
- The gurdwara in Kartarpur stands on the bank of River Ravi,about 120 km northeast of Lahore.It is revered as Guru Nanak’s final resting place.
- Pilgrimages between India and Pakistan are governed by the 1974 Protocol on Visits to Religious Shrines.The Kartarpur Corridor,which may provide visa-free access from India to the shrine inside Pakistan,might need a separate treaty.
2 min read