News:India has participated at the United Nations AIDS (UNAIDS) programme at the World Economic Forum(WEF).
About the Programme:
- The theme of the programme was “Access for all: Leveraging Innovations, Investments and Partnerships for Health”.
- The programme laid emphasis on accessibility of health to all with innovative technologies and solutions and also on bridging economic inequalities.
- The Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS(UNAIDS) is an initiative of the United Nations which was started in 1996.It is is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland.
- The main objective of the programme is to coordinate global action on the AIDS disease and alleviate its impact.
- It is leading the global effort to end AIDS as a public health threat by 2030 as part of the Sustainable Development Goals.
- It has a vision of zero new HIV infections, zero discrimination and zero AIDS-related deaths and a principle of leaving no one behind.
- The UN Political declaration on ending AIDS was adopted in 2016 which seeks to end AIDS as a public health threat by 2030.
About UNAIDS Fast-Track strategy:
- UNAIDS Fast-Track strategy was started in 2014.It plans to step up the HIV response in low and middle-income countries to meet the SDG 3 target to end AIDS by 2030.
- To achieve this,the Fast Track strategy sets out targets for prevention and treatment known as the 90-90-90 target.
- The 90:90:90 target provides that by 2020 a) 90% of all people living with HIV will know their HIV status b) 90% of all people with diagnosed HIV infection will receive sustained antiretroviral therapy c) 90% of all people receiving antiretroviral therapy will have viral suppression.