News:India has pledged to contribute USD 5 million in 2020 to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees(UNRWA).
- United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA) was established by the United Nations in 1949 to carry out direct relief and works programmes for Palestine refugees.
- The agency provides assistance and protection for some 5.5 million registered Palestine refugees to help them achieve their full potential in human development.
- The Agency’s services encompass education, health care, relief and social services, camp infrastructure and improvement, microfinance and emergency assistance including in times of armed conflict.
- The aid is is provided in five areas of operation namely Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, the Gaza Strip and the West Bank including East Jerusalem.The aid for Palestinian refugees outside these five areas is provided by UNHCR.
- The UNRWA is funded almost entirely by voluntary contributions from UN Member States.
- It also receives some funding from the Regular Budget of the United Nations, which is used mostly for international staffing costs.