News:Stockholm International Peace Research Institute(SIPRI) has released a report on the latest data on international arms transfers.
Key takeaways from the report:
- India continues to be the 2nd biggest arms importer after the Saudi Arabia.
- Russia remained the largest arms supplier to India in 2010-14 and 2015-19 but deliveries fell by 47%.
- India is the world’s fifth largest military spender after US, China, Russia and Saudi Arabia.
- India has also moved to the 23rd position among the top 25 weapon exporters with Myanmar, Sri Lanka and Mauritius being the biggest clients of India.
- Stockholm International Peace Research Institute(SIPRI) is an independent international institute established in 1966 in Stockholm,Sweden.
- It is dedicated to research into conflict, armaments, arms control and disarmament.