News: Defence Research and Development Organization(DRDO) have successfully conducted the trial of the nuclear-capable Shaurya missile.
- Shaurya: It is a hypersonic surface-to-surface tactical missile developed as a land variant of short-range Submarine Launched Ballistic Missile (SLBM) K-15 Sagarika.
- These ballistic missiles belong to the K missile family.It has a range of at least 750 kilometers.It is also capable of carrying payloads of 200 kg to 1000 kg.
- The missile is based on a canister system which means that it is stored and operated from specially designed compartments.
- K missile Family: They are primarily Submarine Launched Ballistic Missiles(SLBMs).These have been indigenously developed by DRDO and are named after late Dr APJ Abdul Kalam.
- The development of these naval platform launched missiles began in the late 1990s as a step towards completing India’s nuclear triad — the capability of launching nuclear weapons from land, sea and air based assets.