News:India, Thailand and Singapore will conduct their first-ever trilateral naval exercise in the Andaman Sea between 16th-20th September,2019.
About the Naval exercise:
- The trilateral exercise is aimed at ensuring free and unhindered shipping flow through the Malacca Straits.
- The exercise would involve Indian destroyer Ranvir along with a Singapore frigate and Thai multi-purpose warship.
- Further,India is hopeful that Malaysia and Indonesia will join the exercise to ensure that sea lanes connecting the Indian Ocean with the Pacific are protected from any unilateral aggressive move.
- A strait is a naturally formed, narrow, typically navigable waterway that connects two larger, navigable bodies of water.
- It most commonly refers to a channel of water that lies between two land masses.
- But it may also refer to a navigable channel through a body of water that is otherwise not navigable, for example because it is too shallow or because it contains an unnavigable reef or archipelago.
- Malacca strait is one of the most important shipping lanes in the world.
- It is the main shipping channel between the Indian Ocean and the Pacific Ocean.